For over 45 years ENGEO has been providing geotechnical and environmental services to a variety of clients. Our clients are local, state and federal agencies, architects and engineers, and private developers. We have a broad range of project experience with development, both urban infill and large master-planned communities; transportation including roadways and bridges; critical facilities including fire stations and schools; environmental assessments and remediation; and geologic evaluations including fault location studies, landslide mitigation and repair.
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Engineering Geology
- Environmental Engineering
- Water Resources & Hydrology
- Ground Source Heat Pump Systems (Geothermal)
- Special Inspection & Materials Testing
- Geologic Hazard Abatement Districts (GHAD)
- Laboratory Testing
- Entitlement & Permitting Support
- Construction Management
- Weather Stations
- Asbestos Services
ENGEO’s geotechnical staff has the depth and experience to provide seamless follow-through on planning, design and construction of projects. By developing a scope of services that is tailored to each project, we provide high quality, technically superior, timely and cost-effective engineering solutions. We have a staff of highly qualified field engineers and geologists that provide expert advice during construction and subsequent performance monitoring services.
- Site Investigation and Characterization
- Foundation Engineering & Design Recommendations
- Earthquake Engineering
- Geotechnical Instrumentation
- Geologic Hazard Assessment and Mitigation
- Construction Observation and Testing
- Landslide Evaluation and Repairs
- Peer Review
ENGEO’s team of highly qualified engineering geologists develops comprehensive solutions. We provide a full range of services including field geology, site characterization, geologic risk assessment, and detailed engineering for remedial grading and mitigation plans. ENGEO provides expert advice to clients in evaluating alternatives that best meet multiple project objectives.
In addition to geologic studies, ENGEO has the depth and experience to provide seamless follow-through on land stability projects. Our professionals provide full engineering design, plan specifications and estimates for construction of remedial measures for land stability.
- Appraisal of Geological Hazards
- Geologic Mapping and Assessment of Large to Small Properties
- Studies of Active and Potentially Active Faults
- Delineation, Mitigation and Repair of Landslides
- Characterization of Subsurface Conditions using Geophysical Surveys
- Evaluation of Aggregate Resources
- Studies of Mine Suitability and Design of Reclamation Work
- Analysis and Mitigation of Rock Slope Stability
- Analysis of Rock Rippability
- Formation and Management of Geologic Hazard Abatement Districts
- Geologic Analysis and Reports for EIS/EIR
- Geologic Exploration for Tunnels, Pipelines, Transportation Corridors
- Design of Corrective Grading Plans
- Correction of Drainage Issues
ENGEO exceeds client expectations by anticipating a project’s challenges. Our client-centered team of engineers, hydrologists, and geologists provides a seamless approach to multi-faceted environmental projects. We offer a wide range of services from assessments and remedial design to program management for implementation, monitoring, and compliance.
- Phase I and II Environmental Site Assessments
- Preliminary Endangerment Assessments
- Soil and Groundwater Characterization, Assessment & Remediation Consultation
- Groundwater Monitoring Well Installation and Sampling
- Vapor Intrusion Studies
- Petroleum Pipeline Assessments
- Agricultural Impact Assessments
- Health Risk Assessments
Water Resources & Hydrology
ENGEO provides design criteria for foundation and construction of pipelines, water storage facilities, erosion management, creek restoration, small earth dams and levees. In addition, ENGEO provides services including flood control and surface water management plans, Storm Water Management Plans (SWMPs), implementation and monitoring of surface water control facilities and creek restoration. Our knowledge and relationships with multiple public and government agencies helps projects progress smoothly and stay on schedule.
- Levee & River Bank Evaluation and Design
- Creek Restoration, Hydraulic Modeling & Design
- Bridge Scour Analysis and Countermeasure Design
- Flood Control Detention Basin Design
- Storm Water and Hydro-modification Management Plans and BMP/IMP Design
- Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPPs)
- Construction and Post-Construction Water Quality Monitoring
- Wetland Design, Restoration and Monitoring
ENGEO has extensive Construction SWPPP experience to achieve and maintain compliance with the State Water Resources Control Board’s Construction General Permit (Order No. 2009-0009 DWQ). For more than 15 years, ENGEO staff have interacted with the State and Regional Water Resources Control Board Staff, and have helped clients on hundreds of projects to comply with the Construction General Permit.
Construction SWPPP services include:
- SWPPP and Erosion Control Plan preparation
- Year-round site BMP monitoring and reporting
- Stormwater runoff sampling and testing
- SMARTS filing and document processing (NOI, NOT, Changes of Information, Adhocs, and Annual Report)
- SWPPP training and refreshers to clients, contractors, and city/county inspectors
ENGEO’s in-house resources include more than 20 Qualified SWPPP Practitioners/Developers and dozens of trained field representatives ready to serve your project.
Ask us how we can help you stay in compliance.
Contact: Julia Moriarty, GE, QSD – Principal; email@example.com
Ground Source Heat Pump Systems (Geothermal)
Based on the Site geologic properties, ENGEO can develop Ground Heat Exchange (GHX) thermal parameters for use in Ground Source Heat Pump (GSHP) design, or can offer turnkey GSHP design, installation, and development of a financial delivery model for monetizing the energy efficiency savings to the developer. A GSHP system can be readily integrated with complementary technology (e.g. wind, solar, CHP, heat recovery) to form an important part of your energy efficiency and renewable energy solutions to meet sustainability targets. As project planning progresses into architectural design, we can meet with you, your architect, and your MEP designer to further assess and maximize energy saving opportunities and efficiencies.
As part of the feasibility assessment, ENGEO will assess the viability of open and closed loop Ground Heat Exchange (GHX) systems relevant to the optimal GSHP system on your site. Considerations include:
- Thermal properties of soil, bedrock and groundwater conditions
- Access to a high yielding, available and reliable groundwater aquifer
- Access to an available and reliable surface water source
- Required site work to reduce the cost of installation of a GHX
ENGEO employs International Ground Source Heat Pump Association (IGSHPA) accredited GSHP installers and designers, to ensure that best practices and the latest approaches are utilized, to maximize efficiency and deliver a sustainable system.
For existing systems, ENGEO is adept with proven abilities to trouble-shoot under-performing systems, identifying through forensic analysis how to best optimize system designs to heat and cool with greater efficiency and reduced cost.
Special Inspection & Materials Testing
ENGEO provides earthwork observation, special inspection services, quality assurance and construction monitoring for projects. We have the depth of resources and expertise to tackle any type of project. Our experience with all aspects of construction and our large, experienced field staff mean efficient and smooth project delivery. For our clients with direct responsibility for public safety, our emergency response track record and our quick action to mobilize have been instrumental in their success.
ENGEO can provide a multi-disciplined inspector for your project—a person who can save time and money by providing different types of inspections during the same visit. Our technicians are trained to review plans and observe and report details on projects, thus potentially minimizing future problems. ENGEO’s staff of technicians and inspectors is certified by, and in conformance with, the following:
- AASHTO – The American Association of State Highway & Transportation Officials
- ACI – The American Concrete Institute
- ACIL – The American Council of Independent Laboratories
- ANSI – The American National Standards Institute
- ASNT – The American Standard of Non Destructive Testing
- ASTM – The American Society for Testing and Materials
- AWS – The American Welding Society
- Caltrans – California Department of Transportation
- ICC – The International Code Council
- NICET – The National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies
Geologic Hazard Abatement Districts (GHADs)
GHADs are public agencies formed by communities to provide a management structure and funding source to protect from landslides, erosion, liquefaction, and other hazards. In 1986, ENGEO helped create the first GHAD in Northern California and since that time has formed, engineered and managed the vast majority of GHAD properties throughout the state.
ENGEO is a leader in developing best practices for GHADs throughout the state. We have extensive experience in GHAD policy development and law. ENGEO President Uri Eliahu, GE, is a Founding Director and President of the California Association of GHADs and its current president.
ENGEO is the leader in GHAD education, development of best practices and legislative activity. We have presented many GHAD workshops and symposia. We have developed several comprehensive presentations customized for various audiences and have delivered GHAD presentations to many legal, political and industry associations and public agencies.
Select Project Experience
- Broad Beach GHAD—Malibu, CA
- Leona Quarry GHAD—Oakland, CA
- Blackhawk GHAD—Contra Costa County, CA
- Oakland Area GHAD—Oakland, CA
- Dougherty Valley GHAD (West Branch GHAD 1990-01) —Contra Costa County, CA
- Canyon Lakes GHAD—San Ramon, CA
- River Islands GHAD—Lathrop, CA
- Newhall Ranch GHAD—Los Angeles County, CA
- Moller Ranch GHAD— City of Pleasanton, CA
- Laurel Creek Estates GHAD—City of Pleasanton, CA
- Oak Tree Farm Property GHAD—City of Pleasanton, CA
- Southwest Pittsburg GHAD—City of Pittsburg, CA
- Wilder GHAD—Orinda CA
- Wendt Ranch GHAD—Contra Costa County, CA
- Wiedemann Ranch GHAD—San Ramon, CA
ENGEO maintains in-house soil and materials testing laboratories managed by registered civil engineers. Tests are performed in conformance with ASTM and AASHTO test methods in accordance with Caltrans, International and California Building Code standards.
Our laboratories are certified and accredited through the following:
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)
- California Department of Transportation (Caltrans)
- Cement and Concrete Reference Laboratory (CCRL)
- AASHTO Materials Reference Laboratories (AMRL)
- Division of State Architects (LEA 92 and 70)
Below you will find our ENGEO Laboratory Test Order Form & 2016 Laboratory Fee Schedule.
Please download the spreadsheet, fill out your order, and email to:
Entitlement & Permitting Support
ENGEO provides entitlement and permitting support to private developers, landowners, public agencies and lenders for all project types. We have a keen understanding of local, state and federal regulatory processes and foster close communication with regulators and legislators.
Our services includes:
- Provide support for land acquisition due diligence, including research, analysis and land purchase event schedules.
- Assist in identifying site development standards, opportunities and constraints.
- Provide liaison and coordinate negotiations with resource agencies
- Assist in preparing entitlement applications for tract maps, conditional use permits, planned unit developments, variances, lot line adjustments, 404 permits, 401 permits, 1603 permits, NPDES compliances and other agency requirements.
- Coordinate site design, improvement, utility and landscape plans, and soils and environmental reports.
- Coordinate submittal packages for project site, improvement and building plans and reports between company departments, consultants, subcontractors and governmental agencies.
- Facilitate the issuance of building, grading, encroachment permits.
- Monitor project progress and conformance with governmental agency requirements in project development agreements, conditions of approval and permits.
In addition to a full range of engineering services, ENGEO is fully capable to supply the following construction management services to our clients.
- Conducting bidding process
- Evaluating bids and awarding contracts
- Scheduling subcontractors
- Providing weekly summary report for subcontractor work
- Coordinating site activities
- Assisting with subcontractor billing review
- Monitoring budgets
- Evaluating change order requests
ENGEO has installed a number of internet-accessible weather stations for clients throughout Northern California. These weather stations provide real-time data including total rainfall, storm rainfall, wind speed/direction, barometric pressure and other data, which play a vital role in the maintenance of Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP). Data is uploaded on regular intervals, where it can be accessed at any time.
Access information from a current weather station:
Additional weather resources:
ENGEO’s asbestos services team is one of the largest of all multi-disciplinary consultancies in New Zealand. Our independent expert asbestos services help clients comply with changing regulation and guidelines when undertaking asbestos-related work. The combination of high-quality experience, industrial qualifications, and training, provides clients with a cost effective and practical solution. Services include:
- Asbestos Surveys
- Asbestos Risk Register
- Management Plans
- Compliance Air Monitoring
- Bulk Sampling
- Soil Investigations, Remediation and Validation
- Remediation Management with a Certificate of Competence Holder